Skip to main content

QRATEs' Voices: Menstruation




By Janet Gilman

We mostly hear myths about menstruation as South Africans. And often, these myths lead to young women to feeling embarrassed and outcasted for experiencing something that happens to them every month.




My experiences about menstruation were that I can't cook for my dad or any male when I am on my periods cause bad luck would follow up. I can't allow any woman on her periods to touch my hair or else my hair will fall off and last but not least I can't be around men when on my periods cause it'll make my blood flow heavier and I might lose a lot of blood.

Afrika Tikkun's students busy writing down their thoughts in QRATE's Menstruation workshop.


How many more myths and untrue stories should we hear, listen and digest about being a woman on her menstrual cycle?!

It's time we normalized menstruation and found pride with walking out of a classroom full of boys and see no harm nor embarrassment about flashing our pads, tampons, and menstrual cups just so it suits best for boys, men or the society.

Smiles all around! 


Luckily, I was able to participate in the Menstruation workshop offered by QRATE. I found the workshop to be fun, dynamic and engaging. QRATE has taught about being confident in your own skin, body and own life without thinking "What are people going to say?" The workshop opened our minds about being content with the way you are born. The QRATE workshops not only teach girls about menstruation but about how oneself can be proud of being a WOMEN.

I am glad to have experienced QRATE's Eduliftment!

Janet creatively explaining the tampon. 

#POWER TO WOMEN✊
#WOMEN RUN THE WORLD✊
#WOMANDLA✊
#IMBOKODO✊
#EDULIFTMENT4KIDS




Janet Nomveliso Gilman is a 22 years old student who is certified in Project Management. Janet is also a Young Urban Citizen and a passionate activist for Gender-Based Violence & LGBTQI+ rights.

Follow her on instagram: (@gilmanjanetn) and twittet (@janetgilman) 




Comments

  1. Hi, I am Zinhle and I am 17 years old. I was recently diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in February. Since that day, I have felt alone because there wasn't anyone I could talk to about my condition. When my doctor had diagnosed me, he did not disclose the full information about my condition and I was just told to take oral contraceptives (birth control) and be on a low GI diet. All I want to say is that I would like that all girls and women to be more educated about their reproductive health so they are able to flourish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Thinking 4 Kids

By Candice Chirwa & Josh Nel South Africa is a country that has a rich and diverse history which influences the social and political contemporary issues that are deeply contested today. Despite these challenges, we have a total population of 55.6 million people, 36.2% of which are young people. However, the youth face the great burden of lacking critical engagement skill with socio-political issues that affect them. Through a series of blog posts, Qrate will discuss and tackle various social issues that as an organization believes that children should be open-minded towards and willing to hold discussions amongst their peers, teachers, and parents. These blog posts will be helpful for parents, guardians, and teachers to engage in discussions with the youth of today. Our first blog post is centered on understanding the importance of critical thinkers for young children. What is Critical Thinking? Critical thinking consists of different skills that help us learn

Qrates Voices: Mindfulness for Kids

Mental health conditions are common worldwide, the World Health Organization says one in four people in the world will be affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives. It is therefore important that we take care of our mental wellbeing as it affects every aspect of our life, from emotional wellbeing to even physical wellbeing. It is important to understand that mental wellness affects your physical body.  Mindfulness and Mental Health The uses of mindfulness meditation are to prevent a relapse in major depression and for managing mental health conditions like stress, anxiety, sleeping disorders and even eating disorders. Mindfulness meditation is a practice that teaches us to experience the current moment and how to integrate that awareness into our everyday life. Through mindfulness meditation we are aware of our thoughts, we learn to capture racing thoughts and analyze them thoroughly, let go of negativity and calm our mind and body.  There